Rolling Surfaces are Dented From Impact or Shock Loads
- Most bearings are mounted with an interference fit either on the shaft or in the housing.
- When mounting the bearing ring with an interference fit, always apply force to the ring that is being mounted. Never allow the mounting force to be transmitted through the rolling elements as this can easily dent the raceways and rolling elements.
- The resulting damage can increase noise and vibration levels and temperature.
- The bearing will probably fail prematurely.
- Replace the bearing.
- Never hammer any part of a bearing directly when mounting. Always use a mounting sleeve.
- Review the mounting procedures making sure that no mounting forces are applied through the rolling elements.
- Use a bearing fitting tool. (The Bearing fitting tool kit is an excellent tool for smaller bearings.)