The solutions to bearing seat out of round
Considerations During Operation
- A bearing outer ring in an out-of-round or distorted housing (oval clamping/pinching) leads to reduced clearance or preload and an increase in operating temperature.
- This is often characterized by two load zones in the outer ring that are 180° apart.
- Oval clamping (pinching) can also restrict axial movement of the non-locating bearing and induce heavy axial loads.
Actions To Do
- Check that the support surface is flat to avoid soft foot. Any shims should cover the entire area of the housing base.
- Make sure the housing support surface is rigid enough to avoid flexing.
- Check the shaft and housing seats for roundness (ovality). Repair if necessary.