The solutions to cross-located and no longer expand bearings
- When bearings are cross-located and shaft expansion is too restricted, internal axial loads will be induced in both bearings.
- The induced loads can cause excessive operating temperatures and an increased frictional moment.
- The induced loads can be heavy and lead to premature fatigue spalling.
- Insert shims between the housing and cover to obtain adequate clearance between the cover and the outer ring side face to avoid axial preloading of the bearings.
- Determining the expected shaft thermal elongation should help establish how much clearance is required between the bearing outer ring side face and the housing cover.