How to installing a shaft-mounted gearbox with a shrink disc?
Shrink discs are delivered ready for installation. Do not disassemble them before they have been tightened for the first time.
Structure of Shrink Disc
- 1. Inner ring
- 2. Outer ring
- 3. Screw
- 4. Shaft
- 5. Output shaft
- Remove any spacers that may have been installed between the outer rings for transportation reasons.
- Tighten the three clamping screws so that you can still rotate the inner ring. The three tightened screws must form the tips of an equilateral triangle. Measure the gap between the outer rings at different points to ensure that the outer rings are parallel.
- Push the shrink disc onto the output shaft of the gearbox. To make installation easier, you can grease the outer surface of the output shaft of the gearbox at the place where the shrink disc is located.
- Use solvent to remove grease from the inner surface of the output shaft and the shaft of the driven machine that will be installed to it.
- Install the shaft of the driven machine inside the output shaft on the gearbox.
- Tighten all the clamping screws evenly in a circle, as shown in pictures.
Do not tighten the clamping screws before the output shaft of the gearbox has been installed!
Tighten the screws equally, maximum ¼ to ½ turns at a time, until their tightening torques are the same. You must tighten the screws in several rounds. The outer rings must remain parallel.
Check the tightening torques with a torque wrench. See Table 4 for the correct screw tightening torques for SD type shrink discs. The values are for screws greased with MoS2grease.
TABLE: Tightening torques of shrink disc screws, valid for shrink discs, type SD.
- Remove the clamping screws evenly, by loosening them in the opposite order to that of tightening. Initially, loosen each clamping screw only ¼ of a round. In this way, you can avoid distortion of the outer ring. Never unscrew the clamping screws.
- Remove the shaft of the driven machine from the output shaft of the gearbox. Remove any corrosion that has formed between the shafts.
- Remove the shrink disc from the output shaft of the gearbox.
Cleaning and Lubrication
You need not detach the removed shrink discs from each other or lubricate them again before tightening them again. However, clean and lubricate dirty shrink discs. Grease the clamping screws with multi-purpose grease and replace damaged seal rings. When replacing the inner ring, the bevel surfaces must be greased (e.g. MoS2)